I’ve been calling him “Itay” a lot for months already. I don’t know why, it just feels funny calling him that. Maybe because I kind of feel that it breaks the ice sometimes and it goes well with what I call mama when I’m in the mood for teasing her (which is like all the time).
I know I must write something awesome to honor him or something since mostly, I’ve been writing about love. I guess it’s about time I give tribute to him, not that
he’s dead (God forbid) or anything, but just because I’m proud of him and I love him, even though I’m not very vocal about it.
Anyway, I usually describe my mother as the one I’m closer with and my father as my idol. I wrote the very same thing for this scrapbook project I made back in college. In the same way that my friend, Joey thinks of his father, he is also like a real Jack-of-all-trades. I could totally relate when she talks about her father being like this and that, doing this and that because like her father, Papa is a man of Art. First of all, he graduated with a degree in Fine Arts major in Advertising. He told me once that back in the day, there were only 2 majors in FA, one is Painting—for the rich kids and the other one, Advertising—for the not so fortunate ones.
So basically, that makes him an artist and he literally is. He works as a company artist for one of the biggest pharmaceutical companies in the country (where he also met my inay). He’s been there for more than 30 years already, but to cut the story short, he’s great in anything related to art: painting (gotta see his artworks at home), drawing (I remember making him draw a witch on a manila paper for our presentation back in grade school, I never got to bring it back home :P), digital imaging (or whatever you wanna call it basta in Photoshop), photography, sculpting (this freaky head sculpture of Lapu-Lapu still freaks me out sometimes coz it’s really good), video editing (which is why we’re all very fond of making short films, videos, sensible or not), etc. He’s even good in designing websites! I told you, he’s good!
Aside from that, he’s also a good cook. My favorite specialties of him are: his Adobo, Morcon, Bulalo, Chicken Pastel and Hamonado! But it doesn’t end there, he’s also a great musician! He’s the reason why we all wanted to learn to play the guitar and we all did! Even my mother knows how (don’t know if it was my father who taught her though hihi), and he also plays the keyboard! All these he learned by himself. I don’t know how he does that. I guess he’s just too persevering that he gets what he wants.
You know what they say, when a person is musically inclined, it also somehow makes them more intelligent for some reason which is why I really do look up to him (but he doesn’t know that even though I keep writing about it in most of my school homeworks or projects since I was young). I guess it also helped that he likes to read a lot. Yes Joey, again, we have very similar fathers. Up until now, he comes home with either a new book or a new dvd. Most of the boxes we salvaged during the Ondoy contained his huge collection. He even has these tons of handouts/printouts of things he finds on the internet about different stuff. That’s why he’s so opinionated and that’s why he knows so much about a lot of stuff. I even get surprised he knows a whole lot of medical-related stuff I boast about at home. FAIL lang magyabang! He’s that good!
Woah woah woah, I’m not done yet! Did I even tell you about him being really, really good at writing? Heck yeah! You’d think with everything I mentioned earlier, I’d be bluffing already, but in all honesty, this is for real! I remember finding his college notebook one time with his writings that totally made my nose bleeeeeeeeeeeeed (literally!) KIDDING! At first I thought that he was just good in expressing what he wants and putting them into writing, but nah-ah, he uses these hyphalooting, Marianas Trench-deep words I could never have patience comprehending. Not that it’s a bad thing, I am just way too shallow to grasp such big words and ideas. My brain couldn’t take in so much density in writing. Okay, OA na, but I couldn’t help it. I’m such a big fan! hahaha!
Well, that’s about it folks. I guess it’s not much compared to other people with even more talents and multiple intelligences, but it doesn’t make me any less proud as a daughter because I have one heck of a father coz for me, he’s the best!
WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO REVEAL ABOUT MY FATHER (aside from the things I mentioned above):
- He’s a very quiet type of person. In most cases, my mother would do all the yelling and nagging, but when he gets mad, my mother wouldn’t even have a say anymore.
- He’s much more affectionate than my mother. He doesn’t say it at all, but we really feel how much he loves us with every hug, beso he gives us every time they come home from work! :’) (not gonna cry!)
- He’s really hands on when taking care of us when we’re sick. Makes soup, massages us with his favorite: Efficascent oil. the works mehn! grabe lang!
- I discovered this box one day containing all his love letters for inay, and boy I told you, this person could really write! And not only were they creative in thought, but also in presentation. Ang gaganda ng designs na gawa niya. Effort kung effort. Yun ang tunay na love letters. I shall post a few of my favorites when I find them again. HOPEFULLY! My mother was too embarrassed, she had them hidden somewhere we couldn’t find anymore!
- If I can remember it correctly, we were in second grade when he came to get us after school. He was wearing their blue barong uniform and I will never forget how my bestie, Nikki, mistook him for a driver. I was so embarrassed and I felt so sorry for him! It still feels the same whenever I think of it. INTENSE!!!! I could still hear your voice in my mind, Nikki “Wow Marielle, may driver!” HAHAHAHAHAHA!
- My father is very fond of animals. I guess he got that from his father, my lolo. I could tell how much he likes Charlie. Of course I can’t deny the fact that Charlie’s soooooooooooooooooper cute, but I couldn’t help but notice the special attention he gives him and how he laughs differently whenever Charlie does something adorable or cute! I even noticed how he calls him “bebe or baby”. “gutom na si bebe?” Diba? Parang anak na! haha!
- OoOOoOOoPS before I forget, I should also tell you guys the most important thing, trait or characteristic of my father. He’s first and foremost, very, very RELIGIOUS! I know he’s read the whole Bible a million times, he buys a lot of books about Religion, He downloads so many videos on youtube about God and all that stuff, he makes us pray the Rosary as a family whenever we get the chance to, He made us read the daily Gospel for years on the way to school (as in, in the car) and made us give our personal reflections about it, then he gives his own after. He e-mails us tons of beautiful, heartwarming and inspirational thoughts about God and our religion up until now. He sent us all to Catholic schools. He buys these prayer books, pamphlets from the store, St. Paul and gives us all a copy of them. So basically, he just makes sure we grow up in the same way he grew up (under the guidance of the teachings of the Catholic church).
- most unforgettable moment with him? When I was scolded so bad by my mother during a really traumatic confrontation regarding my boyfriend, she walked out, leaving me shaking and teary-eyed. Yes, I did not cry. I was trying not to break down til I get to my room. Then when my father came in. I thought he was gonna yell at me too, so I didn’t know what else to do, but surprisingly, he just looked at me and hugged me. That was the moment my tears fell down like water released from a dam. Will never, ever forget that. I needed that hug and I didn’t expect I’d get it from him back then. :’)
So that’s it. I hope someday I could get you to read this without making us both feel awkward disgusted with all the mushiness. I could not even stand you guys reading the scrapbook I made for you back in college. What more if you see this, which is like 10 times more mushy that that? EEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! hahahahaha!
HAPPY 55th BIRTHDAY PAPA!!!! I LOVE YOOOUUU SO MUCH!
here’s a soooooper catchy song I discovered when I made this birthday video for a college friend. HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!