Okay, so I feel like I have been spending way too much free time (meaning, once I get home from work or at the moment, over long weekends) listening to podcasts. Netflix also takes the other half of my free time so I should definitely make a separate entry for that too!
Anyhoww, over the past couple of months, I discovered heaps of podcasts and today, I will be sharing each of those to you; but I would really love it if you can recommend new shows too in return. Deal?
First things first, let me tell you how I got hooked to listening to audio series. If I remember it right, I started listening to podcasts around late last year. I never really thought I’d enjoy listening to one until I discovered “Wake Up with Jim and Saab“, which I must have seen on Saab’s blog. I am such a big fan of her blog (this fandom dates back to her incugirl days), so it wasn’t that big of an adjustment to switch to her audio series co-hosted by none other than her husband, Jim Bacarro.
And since we’re doing throwbacks, some of you may know how I am such a fan of celebrity bloggers. This was way back when blogging was literally just an online public journal (such as this one lol) and when it wasn’t such a big money-making machine yet as it is nowadays. I used to follow Bianca Gonzalez, Patty Laurel, Veronica Peralejo and her friend Saab Magalona. They would share stories about their relationships, college adventures and problems which I found relatable at the time.
Fastforward to the present time, these girls are still very much in touch with their online following, except that they evolved from bloggers to what we now call social media influencers. Most of them have Youtube channels with carefully curated content, wider reach and influence, hence the title.
I am not gonna go through all different types of platforms. I would probably share some favorite Youtube channels too in the future, but for this entry, I’d like to focus more on PODCASTS which I am crazy obsessed with and so passionate about, it’s all I could talk about with my friends! I even pushed a couple of them to record their own shows (with me as their occasional guest of course!).
So for those who still don’t know what podcasts are (hello OG grandparents and parents), according to Wikipedia, they are episodic series of digital audio or video files which a user can download to listen. Alternatively, the word “podcast” may refer to the individual component of such a series or to an individual media file.
In short, they are basically talk shows, minus the visuals.
Living on my own, without access to TV becomes a little too lonely especially when I don’t get to hang out with my friends here in Cebu; but having these podcasts help me get by because they can be really entertaining, informative, not to mention, addictive.
I listen to podcasts almost all the time——when I cook, clean my room, drive, wash my clothes and even while taking a bath! So you can just imagine how podcasts have taken over my life (in a good way). They help a lot with catching up on current events, being productive and multi-tasking!
Even Jim Bacarro himself said that listening to podcasts make his night routine less tedious. (not his exact words)
So here goes the list of my favorite PODCASTS at the moment (mostly on Spotify, if not all):
- Wake Up with Jim and Saab – the first ever podcast I ever listened to. Talks about current events, pop culture, adulting, and relevant topics such as “elevator etiquette” and “bar rules. They have a “Malibag” segment wherein they read and give advice on some of their podfams’ mails. They have an online following and community (which I am proud to be a part of) that has grown over the past year!
- The Halo-Halo Show – This was suggested by my friend, Jan which I find similar to WUWJAS. Talks about TT’s (trending topics), their and pop culture, travel, also reads and gives advice on their Leche Fan’s mails. Very engaging and relatable, also very fun, light and hilarious at times! They are also very interactive with their leche fans on their other social media accounts!
- The Linya Linya Show – One of the Pinoy Comedy Podcasts in Filipino, talks about different topics relevant to the youth and yuppies, and also very hilarious and entertaining. I often find myself laughing out loud (even while driving) while listening to these guys.
- Long Distance – Talks about being Filipinos living abroad and stories in the Filipino diaspora. Most episodes are in narrative form which are very engaging. One of the podcasts that produces the best and relevant content in this platform.
- Adulting with Joyce Pring – Talks about issues of yuppies venturing out into the real world! Very helpful especially for people in their twenties!
- Armchair Expert – Each episode guests personalities from the entertainment industry hosted by Dax Sheppard.
- Good Times with Mo – Good old radio show with Mo twister, his mature and helpful opinion on a wide spectrum of issues of his callers; very entertaining and informative!
- The Creative Introvert – if you know me, you know why this would be so interesting for me!
- After 30 – mostly drawn to this because I am about to turn 30 in the next few months!
- Hilakbot TV’s Horror Show – freaky ass show! I get scared even when listening in broad daylight
- The Telebabad Tapes – Another husband and wife show that talks about pop culture, relevant issues and current events
- Bo Sanchez Radio – Reminders of God’s love and promises in a podcast!
- Anna Faris is Unqualified – Completely forgot about this but I love Anna Faris and I found her show very amusing and entertaining as they take calls from their listeners! Now that I have seen her podcast on my list again, Imma listen to her again!
Also saved the following on Spotify to listen to later on.
- Kanin Konvos
- Boiling Waters OH
- Modern Love
- This Filipino American Life
- Life is Short with Justin Long
- Happy Place
- Career Power Hacks
- Secrets of the Most Productive People
- SNL Afterparty
- Career Stories
- Psychology of Black Mirror
- Work Life with Adam Grant
- Road Trippin’
- Travel Genius
- Conspiracy Theories
- True Crime Obsessed
- The Complete Guide to Everything
- Listen Playlists – Pastor Rick’s Daily
- TED Talks Daily
I lost count of the podcasts that I have been following, and to think that these are just a fraction of the digital content created for social consumption. In fact, most of us also follow a long list of content creators in various media platforms. Truly, Social media is continuously evolving! It has become instrumental in reaching a wider audience, and this in turn, has impacted the way people utilize the power of the internet. And I guess a lot of you would agree when I say that we are indeed in the era of social media, wherein everyone can be an instant celebrity, but that is one power that we should all take proper responsibility for! Use it wisely!